Have you ever had one of THOSE days?  Today was that day.  And worse.  I won’t give you details (if you want them, email me!) you know it’s hard for me not to share…with no details…How bad was it?  I scarfed 2 cheeseburgers and a large fry from McDonald’s…that bad!

I have two questions (yeah…two…but you know I have lots of questions…but two for now…you’re welcome!) about sight words.

1.  How do you teach sight words and WHY???
2.  Do you have research about why sight words are important and necessary for Kindergarteners or can you point me to some great research?

I appreciate any help you can give me.  A meeting today was insulting and hurtful to me so I want to read some research and have some research to back myself up.

And now for some fun!  Ya know I can’t go a day without fun!  I am linking up with Second Grade Math Maniac for a clip art linky party.  Clip art.  Oooo how I love thee and how you make me smile.  Maybe I should go on a clip art shopping spree to make my day better…I will self soothe with clip art.  Yeah, I might have a slight problem!  I might or might not have purchased clip art from the car….while sitting at red lights or in traffic.  It’s Nashville. Traffic here is bad on a dry, sunny day!  So I have lots of time to shop for clip art!  But not while in motion or riding my Vespa…Vernon Vespa??  HMMMM Still needing a name for the Vespa!

So without further ado, here are my favorite clip art stores and shops!  When you visit, tell them Greg sent ya!
Ashley Hughes is my favorite clip art designer!  Holy cow I love her stuff.  She just posted a great Thanksgiving bundle (yes it is already purchased and awaiting use in my next great product!)  I really love Ashley’s technology clip art and her election clip art.  I used her election clip art to make my new election pack!
She also made this for me!  It’s me…not teaching!  HEHE  Don’t get me started on not teaching today…

I love Nikki at Melonheadz.  Her work is super cute and fun!  But she won me over when she created……
ME!  How cute am I?

I get a ton of my digital paper and backgrounds from this store!  They have great sales sometimes too!

DotsButton1

Doodle Darlin
And finally another one of my all time favorites!!  I even got a wedding gift of clip art from this store!  Yeah, it’s that good!

So these are the people who enable my addiction!  Go visit them and tell them Greg sent you.  And stock up!

• Reply Deedee Wills October 26, 2012 at 2:13 am

Hi Greg. Dr. Tim Raskinski is a great source for research and professional reading around sight word fluency. He states that there are three components of fluency: Accuracy, Automaticity in word recognition, and then interpretation. As you know, students who are not fluent readers often struggle with the cognitive side of reading.

You can go to his website. He also as a great book called The Fluent Reader.

I hope that helps!

• Reply Mrs. Payton October 26, 2012 at 3:24 am

About sight words, the reason I teach them is because A)We are forced to B)They are on the READ 3D Assessment and C)Because I actually do believe the more sight words they know the better they will read since there are so many sight words in the readers we use. I don't know about you, but our Kinders now have to be a level D or like a 6-8DRA when they leave Kindergarten. What?!?! So I started pushing them in homework about 4-5 weeks ago and we practice them in reading groups also. I usually choose 1 sight word per book and we make it with letter tiles, mix it up and make it some more, I write the word missing some letters and they fill them in, and then they write it on their white boards. I also have some little games on the Smart Board to practice…like putting the words on dice and letting them touch it and say it or on the spinner. One other thing is putting it in the writing center where they say the word, make the word (by cutting/pasting the letters) and then write the word. Does it work? Well, I don't know. I assessed mine on sight words today for report cards and some of them could only read I and a…though I have pushed see and like a ton. I hope that helps/makes sense 🙂

• Reply Angela W. October 26, 2012 at 3:33 am

Yes I teach sight words. The book that DeeDee mentioned is superb. I think you will find everything you ever wanted to know and more. I love using songs to teach sight words because the kids learn them so much more easily. My favorite songs are from HeidiSongs. Using hand motions (a big memory cue) along with the songs helps a lot. Already, when I am asked “how do you spell ___” all I have to do is start to sing the song and everyone in class takes over. Best wishes!

• Reply Ashley Hughes October 26, 2012 at 7:19 am

I agree with DeeDee. I've read bits and pieces of that book, but have heard from others that it's a great one. Keep being an awesome teacher! Sight words are an incredibly important piece to the puzzle, so you're not off base at all. 🙂 Love you for the shout-out. You're such a sweetheart! Have fun with that Thanksgiving set!

• Reply jenni October 26, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I think all of the reasons above are great (and I'm going to check out the book everyone mentioned, but I'll add two other reasons 1)up to 85% of what we read is based on instant recognition of letter patterns, not 'reading'. I explain it to my kids this way: do you notice when I read you a book, I sometimes turn the page before I'm finished with the last sentence? That's because I'm not actually decoding the words; my brain just instantly recognizes the shapes of the letters in the word and tells me what it is. My brain is able to work much, much faster than my mouth. Also, 2) So many sight words- especially the first 100- are not decodable. How are kindergarten students (and others) supposed to learn them if they can't decode them?

• Reply Ms.M October 26, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh Greg, I am sorry your having such a hard time at work. Sometimes I wish all the bloggers worked at my school we would have such a great time and the kids would be the most brilliant children in the country. 😛

Anyway, I echo everything said above. I do LOTS to teach sight words, it would take forever for me to share it all. But I will say it is important to me and to my kids and that is why I teach it. LOL

Hope your day is better today, and feel free to send a rant to my inbox if you want to get it all off your chest.
    M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Reply Mrs. Ryan October 27, 2012 at 4:12 am

HeidiSongs are my new favorite way to teach sight words, too! I couldn't believe how much higher the kids scored last year after I started using them.