Howdy!  I know it’s Tuesday so it’s supposed to be Tasty Treats Tuesday but I realized I hadn’t done a Submission For Smorgie in a while so I wanted to do another video to answer some questions!
Today’s Submissions For Smorgie was about procedures and routines.  I share some top procedures and tips to teach those procedures at the beginning of the year!

In the video I mention the toilet spider.  Here he is:
Click the picture to read more about the toilet spider and get your FREE bathroom procedure cards!

Read Chrysanthemum and make anchor charts for words that wilt (hurt) and bloom words (help us)! BRILLIANT IDEA!!!!!!!!  I wish it were my idea but it isn’t!

My friend Lee shared his lining up procedure:  his class pretends they are cars going to Sonic!  They talk about being in line, not bumping, staying in line and it’s all related to going through the Sonic drive-thru!  LOVE me some Sonic so I love this idea!

Click HERE to see more about our morning procedure and our differentiated morning work!

And be sure to visit my friend Mrs. Shipley because she is the Whole Brain teaching GURU!!!  Seriously!

I hope this gives you some ideas and reminders for the beginning of the year!  Please feel free to leave comments and share your procedures for the beginning of the year and tips on teaching those procedures!  I’ll keep adding to this list so we have a huge resource for the new year!!

Join the newsletter

• Reply Emily Benner June 17, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Wow. So I guess I'm going to have to check this page about 6 times a day so I have some ideas for next year–I just finished my first year, but I didn't start until the end of the first quarter. Not looking forward to having that deer-in-the-headlights, “Do WHAT now???” look again for the first few weeks. Thank goodness for teacher blogs!

• Reply Scott June 17, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Thanks for the great information about routines. I have had some success and some “not success” in this area. I really like some of these ideas and will incorporate them in my next “first days” of class.

• Reply LindsayD June 17, 2014 at 8:47 pm

OMG! I forgot how much they learned! Just reading all of the routines you listed makes me extremely overwhelmed – but it's a great reminder of how much they learn and grow! 🙂

• Reply Luv My Kinders June 19, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Love all your helpful hints. The video is spectacular! Sooo love the toilet spider. I wish I knew about this when my own boys were small. You think they would be offended if we tried it at home now?? they are 14, 16 & 18…lol. Sad part is they need it. Fantastic post as always.

~Laura
    Luv My Kinders

• Reply AdamsApples July 28, 2014 at 7:09 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Reply AdamsApples July 29, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Great job on the rules and routines. I have been teaching littles for over 25 years in Title I schools and I have to tell you that you are doing terrific helping other teachers. One word 'EXPLICIT' you can't leave anything to chance. TeeHee OK-I didn't see you mention it, but I also add coughing, sneezing and the inevitable boogers! I have procedures to explicitly teach these too. 'Catch your cough' in the elbow or shoulder; 'squeeze your sneeze' in the elbow or shoulder and 'wrap your booger sugar', in a tissue and if possible, take care of it out of sight in the bathroom, so we don't see (also mention where not to put: carpet, table, wall, clothing-eew!). Then we throw tissues away and sanitize with 1 squirt. I take it a step further and ask what would happen if we didn't use these preventative actions. I also discuss what to do if you feel like your going to throw up, if you have had a potty accident (and not waiting to the last minute) and bloody noses (often caused by 'booger picking' HA!). Maybe you do discuss these things but not in the detail I need to with my classes. I have enjoyed your blog. Smiles!