Howdy ya’ll!  I have a cool new toy to show you tonight!  And that means it’s a new kindergarten smorgasboard how to video!

Ya know when I left my old classroom I had to leave my Smart Board behind.  SAD DAY!  My new classroom doesn’t have a Smart Board.  Well, that just didn’t work for me!  So I set out to figure out how to get myself a Smart Board.  Since I didn’t have $1,000 for a new board, I found a cheaper solution.  How about 99 cents?!  Yeah.  99 cents (if you have an iPad!)!

Here’s what you need to do.

Download the Splashtop app onto your iPad.  I purchased the app on sale recently for 99 cents. It is originally priced at $20 which is still a steal for a Smart Board!

You will also need to download the Splashtop streamer software onto your laptop or computer.
Once you have installed the software make sure both your iPad and computer are connected to the same wireless network.
Open the Splashtop app on your iPad.  It will walk you through the initial set up which is very easy!  Once the set up is complete and the two devices are connected, your iPad will show this screen:
You click on the computer and your iPad then takes control of your computer which basically turns your iPad into a computer mouse.  Your iPad will display the computers desktop and anything you do on your iPad will happen on the computer.  Your students can then use the iPad to interact with websites, flipcharts, PowerPoint and more just like on an interactive whiteboard.  In fact, there is even an add on for the app that has the features of an interactive whiteboard!
People, I am so thrilled by this little discovery.  It’s not perfect but it is definitely a workable solution until the day a smart board arrives!  Hopefully…maybe…someday…
If you want to see a video of how this all works, check out my YouTube video (filmed in my mustache classroom!)
(Big shout out to my co-worker Jenny From The Block for being my videographer….it was strange having someone actually film my little video!  But it was fun!)
And today’s outfit!
Shirt- H&M
Pants-Gap

• Reply Teri August 9, 2013 at 12:06 am

I use this in the computer lab cuz I don't have a Smartboard either. It's very sad… Glad you found a solution. Can you tell me what the add-on is for the Splashtop app?

• Reply Gary Fryns August 9, 2013 at 12:55 am

Greg,
    Congrats on making it through that 8 hour day. How do you make one of those TpT slideshows you have running on the right side of your blog? That looks so great!

• Reply Kaia August 9, 2013 at 5:02 am

Awesome idea! We also don't have SmartBoards… Sad! I'm going to try this ap out when I get an iPad (someday).
    A teacher buddy of mine found this method for making an “at home” SmartBoard! I used it last year and it's great!
    Looking forward to reading more from Kindergarten Smorgasbord 🙂
    -Kaia
    KinderColors

• Reply luvin2teach August 9, 2013 at 5:18 am

I am dealing with an even more backward situation in my classroom, want to try this idea, but don't understand how the projector needs to interact with the ipad and laptop, what kind of projector do you have?

• Reply Abbey Thurn August 9, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I love this!!! Here's my problem…when we built a new school, our admin decided to purchase 52 in. TVs instead of projectors for our room. They're just so much smaller and so hard to see! Is that your own personal ipad? If so, do you worry about the kids accidentally breaking something?
    Abbey

• Reply Greg Smedley August 10, 2013 at 3:50 am

The add on is Splashtop Whiteboard!

• Reply Greg Smedley August 10, 2013 at 3:51 am

It's a widget from the TPT website!

• Reply Greg Smedley August 10, 2013 at 3:53 am

The projector isn't interacting. It just projects. The iPad and laptop interact over the wireless network!

G

• Reply Teri August 10, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Kariann Lattin August 12, 2013 at 2:49 am

I went to the National Science Teachers Convention in San Francisco a few years ago and there was a seminar on how to make an interactive whiteboard with a Wii remote, an infrared pen, your computer and a projector. It was amazing, but your solution is probably easier!

• Reply Kariann Lattin August 12, 2013 at 2:49 am

• Reply Rashed Ahmmed September 2, 2013 at 1:25 am

Nice Post written by you guys. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site. Thanks a ton for such a nice post.
    Matemingler is the number one dating site for singles seeking long-term relationships. Join for free to be matched with compatible singles.
    number one dating websites
    number one free dating website
    dating

• Reply Mike J. Cantero June 30, 2014 at 2:56 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Reply Mike J. Cantero August 26, 2014 at 7:13 pm

This application permits me to control my machine remotely as well as I can see my whole desktop on my iPad and after that check up over ANY content or feature!
    ——————–