You’ve seen my teaser pictures on social media.  You know I’ve been hard at work on this.  And today is the day.  I know you’re all on the edge of your seat…waiting…anticipating…clamoring to see what I did with my new space!
First of all….let me just say that I love my new space.  It’s HUGE and….wait for it… it’s a nice big square.  You see, my old room was small and shaped like a W.  True story.   So, I’m embracing my new large space.
Still doing no tables and no desks!  Of course.  EVERYONE Should be doing this!!!!
So…without any more ramblings from me…here it is!
WELCOME TO ROOM 134!!!

Here are some special areas of the classroom!!!!
The Great Hall.
I love that we have a hallway leading into our classroom!  This will make lining up so easy AND this will become an area dedicated to displaying student work!!  How awesome that when people walk into our classroom, they will have to wander through a hallway of our work!?!?!
The Great Hall is also where our math and literacy center tubs and baskets will be located!   Ah, the much sought after reading tubs!!!

Our whole group area with our stage and Smart board!
Notice the big comfy chair!!!   Ummm….I wanted a big comfy chair and I found this one for ….$20.  Yep.  I’ve ordered a slipcover for it so it will be a big comfy red chair!!
Guided Reading/Small Group Area
Notice how everything is red?!  Our school is color coded so I’m on the red wing…hence the red!   I actually had to search out a red table because mine was green.   Ummm this ain’t Christmas people…no red and green!!
The built in shelves behind the table are great for all of my teacher necessities.  Like the 456 packages of smelly markers, the 1,098,876 paper clips and my Sonic drink.  Sonic drinks are required in my classroom.
Here is our classroom library!
I love that the library can now be in the middle of our classroom!  I like that it shows that reading is central to everything we do!
I am slowly replacing all of my book bins with these white ice buckets from WalMart.  People…they are $1.68 each.  I need 8 more…because WalMart only has a few out at a time.  But I digress…
The plastic pool is back.  But I’ve filled it with all of our stuffed animals.
And we have a new addition to the ‘staches!  Meet the Norman the Gnome!  He hangs out in the classroom and will become part of our writing and other fun stuff!
The Word Wall
Here is our word wall!   It’s magnetic so the words can be pulled off by the ‘staches and used in their writing!   I also did not divide the word wall into sections this year!   Something new I’m trying.  I like the clean look…
 Above the word wall is an idea that I got from my sweet friend Lisa at All Ya’ll Need!
It’s a timeline!   I made mustaches for each month of school.  At the end of each month, we will add some pictures from the month to our timeline!   Then we can have memories of our year and hopefully we can even use this for some writing fun!

Since we have no tables/desks, we need spaces to work and be creative and brilliant!  We use bath mats from WalMart and Target.  Bath mats are great because they don’t slip!    And they hold up well and they can be washed!  And sprayed with Lysol.  Lots of Lysol!
We also use clipboards to do our work!   I have 2 sets of clipboards….one is painted and one is not.  These are stored in laundry baskets under the word wall.  Laundry baskets are the perfect size for both mats and clipboards.  Who knew?!
And because we don’t have desks or tables, we use community supplies!   I am a HUGE advocate of community supplies!   Why?   It fosters sharing, it fosters community and it makes a significant impact into how students treat supplies.  With community supplies, we have pressure from our friends to take care of OUR supplies!   I credit community supplies with making a big impact on the classroom community we build each year!

Here is our hippopotamus area!  This is where the ‘staches check to see which hippopotamus/center/workstation they need to be at!  This is also where our sensory bin and lightbox will be located!
Now…if you notice, there is a lot of blank space in our classroom.  Because…it’s not my classroom to decorate.  This space belongs to my ‘staches so they get to decorate the space with their work!
We have spots for our anchor charts so we can constantly have access to our learning!
We have our BECAUSE on display!  This a simple but very effective way to bring higher order thinking into the early childhood classroom!  My friend Jen Jones at Hello Literacy taught me this during a professional development session!

This is new to the classroom this year!   Our growth chart.   I plan to take a picture of each ‘stache in front of the growth chart on the first day of the month to compare our growth!

This is my fave!  It’s our Instagram bulletin board!!!   I stapled the 1st Day letters on so we change the hashtag whenever we want!   This will be another fun way to display photographs of our year and incorporate those pictures into our writing!

Yep, I’m very happy with our new classroom!
I have to give a HUGE MEGA GLITTERY AND MUSTACHE-TASTIC shout out to my friends at Creative Teaching Press!!!!
They are AMAZING to work with and love teachers!!!!!!!   And I am so lucky to get call them friends!!!!!   For real.  We’re friends!
They provided so much mustache goodness and rainbow goodness for my new classroom!!!  I love their new Painted Palette line of classroom decor.  And when paired with mustaches…it’s amazing!!!!!!!
THANKS CTP!!!!  I HEART YOU!!!!

Now,  check out this trailer of our classroom and click HERE to go to YouTube for a full video tour of the space!

JOIN THE GLOBAL CHALLENGE!   #happyclassrooms

Join the newsletter

• Reply Lucky Little Learners August 3, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Amazing! Amazing! Amazing as always! I'm loving your new classroom…I bet you appreciate the shape of it for sure! I also love that you have a comfy chair that will be RED! #happyclassrooms I am looking forward to adding to and following the hashtag Greg! Keep being amazing!

• Reply Rebecca August 3, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Wow!!! I am jealous!! It looks wonderful. I wish I was going be a kinderkid in your room this year! LOL

ItsSoFirstGrade

• Reply justhave2teach August 3, 2015 at 11:58 pm

1.98 for icecube bins/?? I am soooo going to walmart…even if I have to spray paint them the color I want, they are way sturdier than the book boxes that break! LOVE the room, and the LOVE the beacause! I am totally putting that up in my room this year, after reading your post last year!

• Reply meghan August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am

What do you do instead of no tables and no desks?

• Reply Ms. Feuerstack August 4, 2015 at 12:10 am

I love your new classroom. It is so inviting. I love how you talk about not having the classroom fully decorated before the kids come. I think that is so important. If we put up charts before the kids come they will mean nothing to them. Anchor charts need to be make with our kids. Good luck this year.

• Reply Melissa Fellrath August 4, 2015 at 12:23 am

Looks amazing! Just out of curiosity what does your student supply list look like?

• Reply Crazy About Second Grade August 4, 2015 at 1:53 am

So bright and cheery! What a great place to learn! My room has a ton of red as well and I am doing the Happy Rainbow theme from Schoolgirl Style this year! Hope you have a great school year!

• Reply Megan K August 4, 2015 at 2:29 am

Love, love, love that hallway!!! That's the perfect place to have lots of work displayed!!! So jealous 🙂
    Megan
    X is for Apple

• Reply sandra morales August 4, 2015 at 2:31 am

I love it!!! Bello! 🙂

• Reply Stephanie Upton August 4, 2015 at 3:32 am

And this is why I love seeing what all grade levels do in their classrooms. You teach Kinders and I teach middle school but there was two things that I am implementing tomorrow. “BECAUSE” is brilliant!! I know it wasn't your idea but it's brilliant. Mind blown. Second takeaway is the hashtag Instagram board. Hello who doesn't love Instagram more than Tweens and Teens?? Thank you for sharing your classroom and I look forward to following your blog. Your 'staches must SERIOUSLY love you.

• Reply russellla63 August 4, 2015 at 6:54 am

I noticed you don't have any housekeeping/dramatic play area, big blocks/small blocks, etc… Does your kindergarten program have any free play time to allow for these type of activities? Just curious, I notice that less and less kindergarten classrooms have these, which is unfortunate. What is your take on this? Love your classroom, it is absolutely gorgeous!!!!

• Reply Lovely Nina August 4, 2015 at 8:22 am

Your classroom looks awesome! Congrats on all that room! Wishing you a wonderful new school year!
    -Lovely Nina

• Reply abuzil August 4, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I'd like to know more about why you chose not to have desks or tables. One of my coworkers suggested the same thing and I'm debating trying it for next year but am nervous! Tell us more about why you did it and how the kids react to it please!

• Reply Lynnderella August 4, 2015 at 3:34 pm

very wonderful, and worth the wait! May you and the staches have a year filled with educational whoop it up success!

• Reply Lupe Morales August 4, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I love the excitement in this classroom! Lucky-lucky-lucky kids!. I can sense the little voices. May I ask where you found that fantastic rug by the sitting area? It's so colorful! I must have one and I am not a teacher-just a Nana. Thank you for all you do. I have so much respect for all teachers. Thank you. Blessings.

• Reply Sara August 5, 2015 at 4:18 am

I love the stairs and stage for the smartboard. Where did you get it? I need one, my kids (students) fight over the ladder my school bought.

• Reply Flamingos and Butterflies August 5, 2015 at 3:44 pm

How open and bright! Love it. 🙂

• Reply Flamingos and Butterflies August 5, 2015 at 3:45 pm

How open and bright! Love it. 🙂

• Reply karen @ Smarticle Particles August 6, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Love it!! Your kiddos are going to have a great year!

• Reply Jolene July 25, 2016 at 11:58 pm

Where did you get your letters and numbers above your promethean board?! I love how colorful they are and the use of dots on the numbers!

• Reply Greg Smedley-Warren August 15, 2016 at 12:31 am

They are my creation! They are in my Rainbow Mustache Classroom Decor set on TPT!