Have you ever had one of those days?

Today was one for me. I’m a very happy, positive guy. I always see the bright side of life. Just last night the fiancé talked about how I am never in a bad mood. It’s something I cherish about myself. But today my spirit is broken friends.

We had a faculty meeting and I honestly feel what is being expected of us is physically, mentally and emotionally impossible. I want to give up. And that feeling makes me sick to my stomach because it’s so unlike me.

After the meeting the kindergarten team and our instructional coaches went to bond with our new K teacher. That ended up being an intensely emotional gathering. It was a very uplifting and positive experience if that makes sense. I’m so lucky to be surrounded by such amazing friends and coworkers. And that includes all of you!!!

Thanks for letting me vent and wallow in my bad mood and defeated mood. We now return to our regularly scheduled Greg and his happy go lucky self!

WE CAN DO THIS!

• Reply Ms. Jessica August 22, 2012 at 2:43 am

Isn't that always how it is for us as teachers? Parents always think we work easy hours, meanwhile we have to work our butts off in our personal time to make it all happen! We've all had days like that… Glad things went well with your Kindergarten team… hopefully it all gets better throughout the year. Somehow we always find a way to make it work, right!?

• Reply Jennifer K. August 22, 2012 at 2:45 am

((HUGS))) Greg! You've got the super fancy dude apron – you're up for any challenge – just do what you feel is right and you'll pull through!

Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

• Reply S. Webb August 22, 2012 at 2:51 am

I hate when I have those days, and like you they are not very frequent. Take heart in the fact that even on your worst day, you surely made a difference for at least one of your little monsters. I love the story of the 2 men walking along the beach as the tide went out. One man stops every few feet, bends down, picks something up and throws it out into the water. They were starfish. The second man asks hims why he bothers because the beach is full of starfish and he will never be able to toss them all back into the ocean in time. The first man, stopped, tossed another starfish into the water and was quiet for a moment. Then he replied, I made a difference for that one.” Good luck!

• Reply Kelly August 22, 2012 at 2:58 am

Sometimes the demands on us teachers is just so overwhelming & can often get you down. Like the commenter above said, you make a difference every single day in the lives of children. And that is more important & a lot more valuable than any other expectation placed on a teacher. I hope you have a much better day tomorrow!!!

Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

• Reply Jill August 22, 2012 at 3:12 am

Aw, man! Hope you're feeling better soon. 🙂

Marvelous Multiagers!

• Reply Ms.M August 22, 2012 at 3:14 am

Sounds like Tuesday Troubles. Ok I'll stop now. But for real, venting is important, especially with what we do. The only hitch is that you need to find a solution not just wallow in the bad. Sounds like you have a great support and team. Glad you were able to work through it.

M

• Reply Primary Possibilities August 22, 2012 at 3:14 am

Oh wow! You are summing up my week. I have been trying to power through with a positive attitude but Monday really got me down. I think we are probably in the same boat with all the different things required of us!

Keep your head up!

Stephany

• Reply TammySF. August 22, 2012 at 3:17 am

Having a team like you have, will help out so much! Sounds like they are a great group of people and teachers need that kind of support on their worst days…sounds like you had one! Hopefully things will start looking up:)

Tammy
    1…2…3…Teach With Me
    Dots of Fun!

• Reply Lisa Parnello August 22, 2012 at 3:35 am

Aww, cheer up. Venting is half the fun of teacher blogging. People who get it. I remember my time in public schools. Tears were shed some weeks, especially when they started talking about AYP, and how every child is supposed to be academically perfect. At least you have a good team to work with and that can make all the difference in the world!

Lisa
    The Lower Elementary Cottage

• Reply applesandabcs August 22, 2012 at 4:35 am

Greg…two things: 1. I love that you shared about your day, because having bad days is part of real life, and that is what this blogging community is all about. 2. I LOVE your new blog design! It is rad! 🙂

Michelle
    Apples and ABC's

• Reply Ms. Kerri August 22, 2012 at 9:55 am

I'm with Michelle, I love that you shared about your day. Sometimes it's nice to hear that someone else had a rough day. We get it. Hang in there. I think Kindergarten is one of the hardest things to do and so many people don't get it. They think all we do is color. If it wasn't for what we do in kindergarten those kids would have no idea what to do in the upper grades. Thinking of you today! Hope you have a rockin day!
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Klass

• Reply Tracey August 22, 2012 at 7:50 pm

THANK YOU for keeping it real. It's not always sunshine and rainbows, is it? **new follower**

• Reply Jessica August 22, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I feel ya Greg!!! Today was the first day of the school year (We've been back for 2 weeks) that I actually felt like it was a GOOD day and didn't feel like a meanie head to my students! (I hate raising my voice at them, but do it b/c I know they need the structure!) Just remember, there are pros and cons to any job…. and we are lucky enough to have the sweet little faces that can be so funny/cute at times…. the kids are the best reminders that we have the best jobs in the world. I honestly couldn't imagine myself doing anything else— even when I've had the worst day ever. I just love what I do…. and I try to not let all the things that we get thrown at us, get in the way of that! And I love my K team too! I'm actually heading out of school to go have mexican with them tonight! =) I hope oyu had a better day friend! Keep your chin up…. all of us teachers are all in this together! =)
    Jessica