Happy Tuesday!  Who else is a little freaked out about the end of the school year???  I know…5 more Mondays and counting down to summer…but honestly, I am a little freaked out that it’s almost over and I feel like we have so much to do!!!  Anyways…

I always celebrate the end of the year with an alphabet countdown!  We start with z and work our way to a.  Each day we celebrate the letter of the day with a fun art project, snack, dress up day or other crazy activity!

click the picture to download your copy of our celebrations!
A-apples-we eat apples
B-Bubbles-we go outside and blow bubbles!
C-cookie day!  Everyone brings in cookies and we chow down!
D-doughnuts-Mr. Greg brings us doughnuts!
E-Elphants-Elephant art project
F-Finger Paint and Fruit-we do finger painting and eat fruit!
G-GLITTER!  We get glitter bombed!
H-HAT DAY!  We get to wear hats!
I-Icre cream party!
J-jump rope!  We go outside and jump rope!
K-we making king crowns!
L-Luau!  We will be having a fun luau!
M-Mustaches!  We will make mustaches, wear mustaches and just have a big mustache day!
N-Noodle Newt!  We make a newt out of noodles!
O-Ostrich!  We make an ostrich!
P-picnic!  We bring a lunch and enjoy a nice picnic outside!
Q-The wedding of Q and U!

R-Rainbows!  I turn the ‘staches loose with art supplies and they create rainbows!
S-Sunglasses!  We wear sunglasses!
T-Thank you!  We write thank you notes to people who have helped us learn!
U-Umbrella!  We bust out the art supplies to create umbrellas!
V-Violet-everyone wears purple
W-Western Day-A real cowboy visits and we all dress like cowboys and cowgirls
X-X-Change autographs!
Y-Yellow-we all wear yellow!
Z-Zebras!  We make a zebra!
And that’s our alphabet countdown!  If you would like a free autograph book for your class, click the picture to download yours!  I included cover pages for Pre-K-2nd  grade and made it editable so you can include your school name!
If you do an alphabet countdown, what ideas can you share?

Join the newsletter

• Reply Holly April 22, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Love this idea! 🙂 You could do a whole day devoted to the letter…or just a half hour celebration of each letter. As usual, you are brilliant! 🙂

• Reply Kimberly Callahan April 22, 2014 at 9:45 pm

We do this whole school. For letter K, the kiddos get a “kiss” from their teacher. They think it is hilarious and a few get a little freaked out until they see the kiss is of the chocolate variety 🙂 It's a fun way to wrap up the year!

• Reply Michelle Taylor April 22, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Love, love, love this idea! I'm getting my calendar right now to figure out when to start! Thank you for such a brilliant idea…and, of course, thank you for sharing!

• Reply Kathy Griffin April 22, 2014 at 11:40 pm

We do that too! Great ideas Greg! We do “f” is for fake name day. We pick a different name for the day, and I write them on name tags. I always let them name me on that day, and one year they chose “Mrs. and that's all” from Junie B. Jones. We laughed all day long.

• Reply Sarah Feltes April 23, 2014 at 1:15 am

Hi Greg! I have been doing my abc countdown since student teaching! I like how you go backwards for the alphabet we always went forwards… we do A -autograph day first and they all have a piece of paper to sign and I put it in their end of the year packet for the last day. B is for birthdays in the summer and we celebrate all the students birthdays we will not be in school for and I bring in a simple treat for everyone (beware of peanut allergies! :/). K is kindness day we put all our names in a box and they pick at random and have to say something nice to that person. P we go to the park, and S I bring in my saxophone and explain how it works and play some tunes for them 😉 Its so much fun I love the abc countdown! Ours starts tomorrow!

• Reply Sarah Feltes April 23, 2014 at 1:18 am

oh p.s. I forgot to copy the paper for the autographs so I think I will use yours! Thank you so much! So glad I saw this! 😀 Have a great end to your year!

• Reply Michelle April 23, 2014 at 3:12 am

I will have to pull up my unit, but I do know that we ate Jelly Beans on J day, and we did Hula hoops on H day while wearing a hat!! (I bought a class set at the dollar store!) We flew kites on K day, and we did Sidewalk Chalk on C day. I want to say that we made and flew paper Airplanes on A day, I KNOW for a fact we did the bunny hop on B day!! We did Farmer in the Dell on F day, Ring around the Rosie on R day and London Bridge on L day. I know we flew kites on K day (also bought a class set from the dollar store) and we may have played with sand and built sand castles on s day!! =-) That's all I remember right now, but I'll look it up and get back to you! Thanks for the great ideas!

• Reply Jill Gillen April 23, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I am so glad I found your blog. I love this idea, I have never heard of this. I guess I am teaching under a rock! Anyway, imagine my surprise when I counted the days left of school and discovered I should have started this last week! Shocko! I will improvise for this year and next year I will get it started right. Thanks for the super idea!

• Reply Mrs. Jensen April 17, 2016 at 10:58 pm

My students love our end of the year countdown! We start ours on May 2nd this year. Some of my favorite activities are Airplane throwing contest, Chalk day (we do math outside and use the chalk), picnic day, walk to the park day, and Summer birthdays (we do a big celebration for all of our summer birthday friends). Thanks for sharing your ideas. Let the count down begin!

• Reply Jennifer Dye June 16, 2016 at 7:59 pm